July 6, 2013

day 22

Week one of English camp: done. Full of excitement, surprises, and challenges, here I am to say that I can't wait to be a teacher.

Its so incredible to see these kids' willingness to learn. I don't even have to ask them to take notes on my lessons. They love to participate in games and discussion. They've made class so fun and so worth it after planning for two weeks.

Mrs. Harries, Abby's mom, came and helped out with camp for most of the week. She was a special education teacher for years, so it was a huge blessing to listen to her words of encouragement and wisdom. God definitely confirmed my passion for children and unveiled my desire to teach and empower our future through her and this first week teaching ESL lessons.

Yesterday we got to go with the short term missions team to Darlene's where we got to play some foutbol and a game called Ta-To (similar to Tic Tac Toe). I met some fun girls and got to sit and chat for a while with them. Kenia, 11, and Widline, 12, were super silly and played Ta To with Heidi and I. Surprisingly we were the "chanpyons" and we had only been playing for a half hour. I also met a girl close to my age, Maliya, and we talked about how long I'd been here, how long I'd be staying, all about my family AND my tishoushou (she said you were very cute Brian). On the way home I ran into my friend Ashley from the children's home. He walked back with us the whole way home to the compound. Actually it was more like he rode on my back the entire way. He decided to call me "li bourik" or his donkey. Nice, Ashley.
Heids playing Ta To with Kenia
This week at our Wednesday morning intern devotion, we talked about our relationship with God being a wonderful love affair. I can't think of a better way to describe it. He relentlessly pursues us.
"Place me like a seal over your heart, like a seal on your arm; for love is as strong as death, its jealousy unyielding as the grave. It burns like a blazing fire, like a mighty flame. Many waters cannot quench love; rivers cannot wash it away." Song of Songs 8:6-7
I'm reminded of His unwavering love in the story of Hosea and Gomer. God instructed Hosea to take Gomer as his wife even though she was a prostitute. Gomer betrayed Hosea lots of times in adulterous acts and even so Hosea pursued her every time with the same love God had for the Israelites; just like the Lord pursues us when we cheat on Him. He loves you and He seeks you and He desires you even when you're running the opposite direction full force.

That is a dangerous love affair.

No comments:

Post a Comment